For the Avocado Salsa:1 small onion, quartered
1 jalapeno, quartered, seeds optional
1 garlic clove
4 medium tomatillos (about 8 oz.), husked, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/2 Haas avocado, peeled, seeded, cut into chunks
(I just use a whole, smallish one)
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
Put the onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and finely chop. Add the tomatilloes, avocado and salt and pulse until chopped but still chunky. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the cilantro.
For the shrimp:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound medium shrimp (about 20) peeled and deveined (see my tip at the end of this post)
8 corn tortillas
2 limes, cut into wedges
Heat a skillet or stove top grill to medium high. Mix the olive oil, chili powder and salt in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cook in hot pan 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until opaque. Do not overcook!
Grill tortillas, until slightly charred and pliable, about 20 seconds per side. Spoon salsa on tortilla, top with a few shrimp, Serve with a lime wedge on the side to be squeezed on the taco before eating.
(Pardon our yucky tortillas. I knew I should have gone to Rancho Markets. sigh.)
I usually get my shrimp from Sam's Club because it's usually the best price for the size and they come already deveined. Great time saver! But they are pretty big so if I'm serving a larger party I will sometimes cut them in half lengthwise. This makes them go a little farther and cutting them this way lets them retain their "shrimp shape".




6 comments:
That looks incredibly good! I'll have to give that a try for the boys and myself. I like it hot, but they are milder. What do you do for the little ones? (I haven't yet read the entire recipe, maybe you said). I am making some guacomole tonite (as soon as GS gets back from the store) and have leftover vegetarian Superbowl Chili, so we'll make up some Veggie burritos, Guac, salsa, condiments. Easy night when I have leftovers to build around. T: It's coming into the Second MONTH of me cooking almost entirely at home!!!! I'm doing it! Using coupons and having him pick up sale items too... Dave Ramsey book is here, but I'm finishing up 2 other books before I dig in on it. I'm doing so much better with money tho'! And yes, the spinal has helped. I've had way more energy than usual these past few days... It doesn't last THAT long but even a month or two is a great help to have that lower back pain isolated, at least (tho' I have other pain issues). How are things/ ?? e:me ? Loves, *Mel and Gang
I remember this!! Ooooh yeah, Baby! I was trying to find this recipe a couple months ago. Lost! Thanks for posting it. I do not remember the Avocado Salsa Verde, though perhaps I never made it? I definatley made the shrimp.
I remember because Dennis had eaten them up at your house and when I made it he was taking medication that made him very sensitive to the 'heat' in this dish. He couldn't eat it. It was kinda funny, he can tolerate a lot more heat than me normally, and I thought they were kinda hot.
Thanks for the recipe, again.
Trish, You should write a cookbook with all these recipes. You have the pictures and all. I'll pass on the shrimp.
Mel~ Jaxon is the only one who didn't eat the shrimp tacos. Emily has always loved spicy food as much as the rest of us. Way to go on cooking at home so much! I know it's hard for you with your health problems. But who says you can't do hard things, huh? I'm happy that you're feeling a little better. And can't wait to talk Dave Ramsey with you.
Christy~They just wouldn't be the same without the avocado salsa verde. That cool balance to the hot shrimp. YUM!
Alice~ I would write recipe book but the truth is that I just make other people's recipes. When it comes to cooking I'm not so much creative as brave. I think I do have a pretty eye for what we will like and I have a good sense of adventure. We're always trying something new. You don't like shrimp?!?! That's crazy talk! I'll have yours. ;)
Oh, ok...lol...I was having a hard time imagining the little man munching down on those hot spicy tacos! lol YOu never know tho. Once, when Gary Jr. was 2-1/2, I caught him going in to the fridge to take a huge bite out of a red onion (like an apple). He confessed to me that did that often and loved them. I found one under our bed once..he'd been playing in our room and stashed it when I came in the room. Kids...so funny!! xo *Mel
What's fer dinner tonite? I love to see your photos of your meals. Maybe I'll post one later. xoxo *Mel the Belle
Post a Comment