Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 3 - Oh yeah...that's good!

I'll add the recipes to this post tomorrow. I'm still pretending not to be sick and I want to go to bed. It's easier to pretend there.
But for now let me just say...

5 points


Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
(From Weight Watchers in 20 Minutes)
Serves 6 (4 pts per serving)
1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup lightly packed chopped fresh parsley
1 garlic clove minced
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
1 (1 1/4 pound) flank steak, trimmed

1)Spray the rack of a broiler pan with olive oil non stick spray and preheat the broiler.
We grilled it outside instead.

2)To make chimichurri sauce, combine the cilantro, parsley, garlic, vinegar, oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and crushed red pepper in a small bowl; set aside.
I discovered chimichurri when I worked at Chili's. LOVE IT!!
3)Combine the taco seasoning and remaining salt. Rub on both sides of steak.
4)Place the steak on the broiler rack and broil about 5 inches from the heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the side of the steak registers 145 degrees for medium, about 5 minutes on each side.
We grill it on high heat for 6 minutes each side for medium rare. YUM!
Slice against the grain into 18 slices.
Serve with the chimichurri sauce.
Everyone except the toddler LOVED this recipe.

Roasted Broccoli with Cumin-Chipotle Butter
From Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
serves 4 (1 pt per serving)
5 teaspoons unsalted
butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1- 1 1/4 lb broccoli, cut into florets

1)Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2)In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the salt, cumin, chipotle, and sugar; cook 30 seconds. Toss the butter mixture with the broccoli in a large bowl. Spread the broccoli on the prepared baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned.
I turned the broiler on for a minute at the end to get some caramelization for extra flavor.
Everyone loved this.
Emily said it was the best broccoli she ever tasted. LOL

3 points

Fresh Fruit with Ricotta Cream
From Weight Watchers in 20 Minutes
2 servings (3 pts per serving)
3 cups mixed fruit, such as diced mango, raspberries, halved strawberries, sliced kiwi fruit
I used mango, kiwi, grapes and some of the orange used for the cream sauce.
Grated zest of 1/2 orange
3 Tablespoons orange juice
1/4 cup part skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
1/4 teapoon vanilla extract

1)Combine the fruit and orange zest and juice in a small bowl. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the fruit mixture into each of two dessert dishes.
2)Combine the ricotta, confectioners sugar and vanilla in a blender or food processor and puree. Spoon 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the ricotta mixture on top of each serving.
I noticed that the ricotta was super thick so I just added the orange juice and zest to it rather than mixing it in with the fruit. I thought it was delicious! I wasn't even tempted by the brownies that the kids and Roger had for dessert.

Mmmmmmm.......yummy stuff!

12 comments:

Mel the Belle said...

I'm still hungry. I did not eat the meat ... where's the baked potato??? lol (kidding...sort of!) I'm a carboholic! xo *Mel

Trish said...

I'm a carboholic too! Which is kind of why I chose WW instead of Atkins this time around. You could have the potato on WW. Just not the heaps of butter and sour cream I usually put on a baked potato. So I skipped it. LOL

Mel the Belle said...

Oh yah...butter, sour cream and LOTS of green onions on that potato, otherwise, what's the point? lol Why is everything that's good, bad for you? Ugh! *M

Trish said...

Seriously.
I can think of one thing that's good and not bad for you.
And Valentine's Day IS coming up. ;)

Unknown said...

How spicy were the flank steaks? They look HEAVENLY and I'm hoping they don't have too much heat to them.

Trish said...

The flank steak is only as hot as the taco seasoning you use. So you can really control the heat there.
The chimichurri is a little spicier. But if you leave the red pepper flakes out you will still get the scrumptious tangy flavor of the sauce without heat.

Becky said...

Oh good, I was going to ask if they steaks were spicy (my poor mouth is such a wimp!). I'll definitely be trying this without the red pepper flakes.

And is the chipolte in the sauce for the broccoli spicy as well? My guess is yes..?

Trish said...

LOL Yes, the chipotle is spicy. I'd leave that out too if you can't handle the heat. ;)

Christy said...

"Ah, yes." she schemed, "I can see my wonderful (meal) plan beginning to fall together...wahahahaaa."
That looks so good!!

The Meal Planner said...

Sounds amazing. I love chimichurri sauce.

KMDuff said...

Sounds delicious! :)

Christy said...

I just made this meal! I am ever so happy with everything! WOWZA!! Will be making again and again! Thanks for putting these together on the same plate!