Monday, December 29, 2008

Mini Living Room Makeover

We spent the day freshening up the living room today. The time seemed right since the Christmas decorations needed to come down. And we needed to make room for the recliner in the living room so that there is space for Jaxon's new toys in his bedroom.
As often happens when we get started on these kinds of projects, one little project led to another all day long.
Roger took the side shelves off of the entertainment center so that it wouldn't take up so much floor space. All those extra shelves just made too much space for junk to land anyway.

I went to work cleaning the couches. I almost like them again. I thought microfiber was such a great thing when we got them and I've slowly come to hate it. But my little Bissel upholstery cleaner really cleaned them up nicely! I was surprised.

We splurged a little and got an area rug for the floor. It seems a shame to cover up so much of the wood flooring that we worked so hard to put in ourselves but, honestly, the floor is cold in there! Plus the recliner is like a magnet to small children who ROCK like MANIACS and we were worried the wood would get scratched up. So the rug is a good solution for now. It'll move down to the family room when we finish it in the coming year and then the wood can shine again.

We also had to put a shade up in the half circle window. You can't see it in the pictures here but it's right above the middle window of the bay. It's 5 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet high. And in the winter the sun just glares right into it. Which is nice unless you're watching TV or, you know, walking around with your eyes open. I really do love not having the TV in front of that window though. Being able to open the blinds and let that sun in when we want to will be good. Sunshine is good medicine for the blues. I need that sometimes.

I still have some work to do with the accesories. Mostly deciding what can stay and what must go. I'm NOT a knick knack person so LOTS of stuff is going to go.

So that was our Monday. I can go to bed tonight knowing that one room in the house is completely clean. Ahhhh..........

8 comments:

Christy said...

I love the rug it's pretty! And you opened up a lot of room in there.
And the new look on the blog... I love it! Very Pretty!!
You are ready to usher in the new year!

Sherri said...

It looks so nice!!! I need to do this too.... but we are getting a new TV in a couple of weeks so I think I am going to wait ---- isn't that sad?? Waiting to decorate around the TV....

Anyway --- I don't care for many knick knacks either -- but I do need to update some decor. My parents gave me a Tai Pan GC for my birthday so as soon as i can ditch my kids long enough I am heading there.

Amber said...

Love your page!!!

The front room looks great! So homey. The rug is nice and brightens up the space.

If you need to get rid of anything, we'll be happy to take some things off your hands. ;)

Love you and see you on Saturday!

ShazBraz said...

Looks great! I love doing that... I'm hoping to do the same in my living room this week too.

Can I ask why you don't like your microfiber? I've never had it, but we are buying a couch soon and probably would have gone with microfiber...now I'm concerned! Tell me what I need to know!

Amy said...

I think it looks great! I really love your coffee table. Where did you get it?

Trish said...

Thanks for the comments! Wow!
~microfiber~ I don't like the feel of it. This will be hard to explain but when you're snuggled up on the couch, reading or watching a movie, your ability to move around and adjust your position is hindered greatly by the texture of the fabric. It's like there's too much traction. LOL
And when it gets dirty it gets this weird shininess to it. That might not bother me so bad now that I know how well the upholstery cleaner solves that problem tho. I'm embarrassed by how dirty they had gotten. Turns out that what I thought was WEAR was really DIRT. Gross.
~coffee tables~ Granite Furniture. But I've seen them pretty much everywhere. All the furniture stores I've been in.

Queen Karana said...

Oh! Your living room looks so nice! You did a really nice job. :)

Anonymous said...

Your living room looks gorgeous and clean! Just found your blog and i love reading it!We are a family of five and starting a new budget, prob $150 a week (600 month) but 500 sounds wonderful, just not sure I can do it.I'm willing to try though!