Saturday, January 31, 2009

Meal Plan and Shopping Trip

Here's the meal plan for this week followed by the details of our shopping trip today.

Breakfasts
~Blueberry Apple Strata
~French Toast and Orange Slices
~Eggs and Toast
~Pancakes and Sausage
~Peach Pecan Strata

Dinners
~Balkan Meatballs, Egg Noodles and Corn
~Mole Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, Mexican Rice, Olives, Chips and Dip, BBQ Little Smokies
~Thai Chicken Fettucine, Salad, Bread
~Crockpot Roasted Chicken, Baked Potato Casserole, Buttered Carrots
~Chili Cheese Baked Potatoes, Salad
~Latin Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Black Beans, Bread
~Chicken Parmesan with Angel Hair Pasta, Fresh Green Beans, Bread

We left the house with $88 to buy groceries for the week. We spent $100.70. But I can explain!!!

Smith's
NINE 24oz packages of 93/7 ground turkey marked down to $1.29 each. 11.61
(Just couldn't pass this up even if ground turkey wasn't needed for this week's meal plan.)
THREE 10 oz. (reduced) bags of fresh spinach 3.87
(Again, too good to pass up. It'll show up on next week's meal plan)
TWO packages of Little Smokies 6.00
one pound of bacon 2.00
bagged salad .59
chicken thighs (reduced) 1.97
quart of whipping cream (reduced) 1.25
pint of whipping cream (reduced) .75
(I've heard you can freeze whipping cream. I thought it was worth a shot. I've paid full price for whipping cream too often lately.)
tea bags (reduced) 1.79
(Still haven't bought any Diet Coke. It's been, what? two months now?)
TWO bunches green onions 1.00
Total after tax and coupons: $30.99

Dollar Tree
roasted red peppers 1.00
flour tortillas 1.00
Total after tax: $2.06

Sam's Club
4lbs butter quarters 5.86
5 dozen large eggs 7.04
5 pounds shredded cheddar cheese 10.16
(Thank goodness cheese is still relatively cheap here!)
Total after tax: $23.75

Harmon's
TWO 16 oz. sour cream 2.00
8 oz. cream cheese .99
TWo gallons 2% milk 3.98
Total after tax: $7.18

Ream's
jalapeno .20
avocado .50
green bell pepper .69
SEVEN limes 1.00
TWO bunches of cilantro 1.18
wide egg noodles 1.19
red bell pepper 1.29
.65lb tomatillos 1.29
16oz. linguine 1.34
16oz. angel hair pasta 1.34
2.02lbs carrots 1.39
TWO cans black olives 1.96
corn chips 1.39
1.15lbs green beans 2.29
Sunsilk shampoo 3.69
Sunsilk Conditioner 3.69
dill pickles 3.00
3.47lbs yams 4.48
whole chicken 6.37
Total after tax and coupons: $36.72

So the ground turkey, whipping cream and spinach were unplanned purchases that put us over our weekly budget. I'll make up for it next week. The deals were just too great to pass up since they are things we use all the time.
I brought the spinach home and blanched it, divided it into two packages and froze it for future meals.
Buying already frozen spinach would be less expensive than this. but it always seems to have a lot of tough stems in it. I KNOW what's in here.

Check out some other people's shopping trips at The Grocery Cart Challenge.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Did you walk on by the Ribeye Steaks @ $3.99/lb? I couldn't pass those up. Cooked a couple tonight with Lionhouse Potatoes. Topped with potato chips and parmesan FLAKES on top. Those flakes crisped up SO yummy. I picked up some of the Green Onions as well.
(I guess if it wasn't just Dennis and I we probably wouldn't have these types of steaks as often as we do.)
There's those Strata's again! You will have to send a piece to work with that man of yours... just a little creative thinking... I can provide the Rubbermaid dish ahead of time. ;)
It's February 2nd and I've already spent $90.00 of our grocery money for the month. (Damn Ribeyes...)

Erica said...

I found you through Gayle's blog, Great Job! I know I found some deals this week that put me over budget, I guess next week we'll be extra frugal! I've never thought of freezing spinach. I'll have to try it.

Trish said...

I did pass on the ribeyes.
Our freezer stash of meat is getting low but the one thing we DO have (besides 100 pounds of chicken!) is 4 or 5 BIG rib roasts. So I went for the ground turkey just for the sake of variety.
GREAT idea on the potato chip topping! I happen to have some stale potato chips in the pantry that I need to find a use for.
I'll send some peach strata this week. :) I'll even provide the container. I have just one more loaf of that apple bread to use up.
I spent $100 of our February budget on 1/31. LOL And we didn't even get any ribeyes!

Trish said...

Welcome Erica! Thanks for stopping by! I love freezing my own veggies. Too many unknowns in those opaques packages at the grocery store.

Jenna said...

Great deals, and yes sometimes they are too good to pass up. You mentioned freezing heavy cream, in my experience it seems to thicken up and almost like butter once its defrosted. So not sure how well it will do, maybe it will be fine for you.