Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What is the hazardous duty pay differential for this position?

Oh yeah, I don't get paid for this job. I forgot for a minute.

So it's Day 3 of my non resolution regarding housekeeping. Today is Living Room Day. Since we just freshened up the living room last week there wasn't much left to do but knock down a couple of cobwebs.
I did change out the kids' school pictures that I have hanging by the stairs. I leave the same frames up all the time and just change the pictures each year. But I'm really bad at it. There may have been a year or two that I skipped changing them altogether. I hope to be forgiven. So I changed them today. Check!

I also wiped down all the iron railings and the oak caps on them. And gave serious thought to having them repainted. I wonder how much that would cost? The white is dated and is apparently a magnet for dirt. A darker color would be nice. Hmmm.....

Just as I'm finishing the railing, Jaxon URGENTLY needs my help. He has accidentally "driven" one of his match box cars under the china cabinet and can't reach it. I can't reach it on the first try either. So I grab a fly swatter out of the closet and get down flat on my belly (which is NOT flat and not at all suited for this position) to try and fish it out from under there. At this point I make a discovery that is so horrific I won't even describe it here. *SHUDDER*
So I spend the next 20 minutes resolving that situation. When I'm done I realize I haven't heard from Jaxon since I turned on the vaccum. 20 minutes ago.

Looking back on it now I see that the universe gave me what was lurking under the china cabinet so that what came next would be easier to stomach.

I call to him...
"Jaxon."
Nothing.
"Jaxon, where are you?"
Still nothing.

Now I know there's trouble because the only time he doesn't answer back, "Me in here." is when there is trouble.

I find him in the little room in the Master Bathroom that the builder quaintly referred to as a "water closet".
Which is really a closet with the toilet in it.
He's in there with the door closed and the light off.
Which is interesting since he decided about a month ago to never enter or be in a room without a light on.
I open the door, switch on the light and there he stands, up to his knees, in a pile of soaking wet toilet paper, holding the toilet scrubbing brush. Not by the handle. By the brush.

So Living Room Day became Revisit Kitchen and Master Bath Day (and sanitize the toddler) in the whole cleaning schedule.
I'm done for today.
See ya tomorrow.

5 comments:

ShazBraz said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I hate those little...uh...shall we call them blips?

Christy said...

I'm laughing so hard! I'm so so sorry! What a cute story though. Hugs, Trish. Hope they help.

tawnya said...

Oh, no. I'm pretty sure I may have upped "sanitize toddler" to "acid dip and leave in tub for husband to deal with"!

Here's hoping tomorrow is bathroom incident free!

Glenda said...

It kind of gives the term "oh, crap" new meaning! Laughing with you, not at you!

Becky said...

Oh BARF!! Ugh, I hate toilet things.. WHY do they have to touch??

I'm so sorry. SO sorry.